Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Spice"-ing Things Up A Bit...

I am a HUGE fan of Rachael Ray. I am not ashamed to admit it. I religiously watch her daytime tv show, and have recently been made privvy to her 30-Minute Meals show on the Food Network. (I apologize for not having known sooner, Rachael!) Now, one of the things that absolutely fascinates me about her and her cooking, is the amount of fresh herbs and spices she uses in her recipes. Not only are they colorful, but the unbelievable taste they give the food... wow!

So, for the next couple of weeks, I'm going to post some tidbits about different herbs and spices, including what you can substitue for them in a recipe, in case you don't have them on hand, what they taste like, and some of the health benefits you can reap by using them. Now, I have to give credit where credit is due... so Rachael and her herb and spice guide was a big help here. You can find it here on her website.

Today, I'm going to start with a spice and an herb. Allspice and Basil. I'm sure we've all HEARD of Allspice. I know I had, I had just never used it before! But, having gone through the research of what it's all about, I'm definitely going to be checking it out more often! And then there's Basil. Mmmmmm :) One of my favorites. I will not lie... you'll probably find basil in a lot of recipes that I'll be posting on here in the future ;) So, without further ado... I bring you allspice and basil.

Allspice



What is it?
Allspice is a nutty spice used in all types of cooking and enhances dishes using green leafy veggies particularly well. It is the "nut" of the nutmeg tree found in the East Indies.

Substitutes?
You can sometimes use nutmeg mixed with clove.

Tastes like?
Nutty, earthy and strong.

Health and Benefits?
Allspice has been used to help with digestion and to relieve any discomfort associated with indigestion. It's also beneficial in the treatment of arthritic and rheumatic pains and other muscular and joint problems. It is also known to settle the nervous system; i.e. helps ease stress and anxiety.

Basil



What is it?
Basil is a green, leafy herb often used in italian cooking (as well as in other cuisines) and is the main ingredient in Pesto Sauce. Thai cuisine includes a purple basil.

Substitutes?
For pesto, you can make a parsley, spinach or arugula pesto instead, or if making a tomato sauce, use oregano or thyme.

Tastes like?
Mild and sweet - very aromatic

Health and Benefits?
Basil is recognized for its soothing and sedative properties and is useful to calm the nervous system and aid digestion. As well as this, basil is said to:
*Treat respiratory and chest problems such as bronchitis or coughs.
*Relieve cold and flu symptoms
*Inhibit the growth of certain bacteria
*Protects cells from oxidation and damage
*Act as an anti-inflammatory and relieve rheumatic and arthritic conditions.
*Prevent the progression of the above illnesses.
*Improve blood flow through the body by relaxing the muscles and blood vessels.
*Prevent heart disease and failure
*Act as a digestive.
*Ease stomach cramps and pains
*Treat nervousness, anxiety, depression, exhaustion, and tiredness.
*Relieve migrains.
*Increase the production of breast milk.
*Repel insects (It's a natural mosquito repelent!
*Treat insect bites.
*Cure insomnia.

Our next herbs/spices on the menu: Bay Leaves and Black Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment