Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Little More Spice... and An Update

Hello again, blogging world!
I'm sorry I've been away for so long. Life has been kinda hectic. Unfortunately. My office is moving to a new location, so we've been busy trying to pack things up and still maintain our workspaces for the time being. Our official move-in date for the new office is next Wednesday. Let's hope things don't get too chaotic before then! Of course, I'm really excited for the move. It's in a much better location, and it's closer to home. Which means I'll save about a gallon of gas a day, alone! I know... it doesn't seem like much. But when you figure it's AT LEAST $2.50 a day, at 5 days a week... that adds up quickly!

Outside of that, I'm remodeling the bedroom. Oh yeah :) I'm totally stoked about that too. Green with black and white accents. It's beautiful :) When it's completely finished, I'll post some pictures on here.

So... back to my original posting idea for today. I promised you bay leaves and black pepper, and that's exactly what's on the menu for today. :) I know you're probably thinking, "Oh, black pepper... I use that all of the time. No big deal." Right? Wrong. I read some of the benefits of black pepper, and was REALLY glad that I did. I never knew it could be so beneficial to me.

So without further ado... Bay Leaves and Black Pepper.

Bay Leaves


What is it?
These are leaves from the Laurel Bay tree and usually are found dried, but are sometimes available fresh. They are mainly used to enhance soups but are removed before serving because on their own, they taste bitter. Used in Italian cuisine.

Substitutes?
If you do not have this, just omit it from the recipe and keep going. You can still make whatever recipe it is you were going to make.

Tastes like?
Pine like - too much can make a dish bitter

Health and Benefits?
*A cloth soaked in boiled bay leaves in water, placed on the chest, can relieve chest infections, flu, coughs, and bronchitis.
*Massage bay leaf essential oil onto affected areas to relieve sprains, swellings, backache, and arthritic and rheumatic pains.
*Settle the stomach
*A bay leaf rinse can help to treat dandruff.

Black Pepper


What is it?
Black pepper comes from the peppercorns grown off pepper trees, mainly from India and Indonesia. The black ones are dried peppercorns that have been picked before they ripen. Used in all cuisines.

Substitutes?
If you are looking for a little kick and you are out of black pepper, you can use a tiny amount of hot sauce or cayenne pepper, but these are completely different kinds of heat from the black peppercorn.

Tastes like?
Spicy and strong with a bite but no heat

Health and Benefits?
*Helps those with poor circulation
*Promotes mental clarity
*Helps clear up colds, viral infections and flu when prepared in tea.
*Induces urination
*Powerful anti-oxident
*It is anti-bacterial.
*Good source of magnesium and iron
*A strong black pepper and mint tea will help clear chest and lung infections and bring up unwanted mucus and phlegm.

Next on the agenda: Caraway Seeds and Cardamom.

No comments:

Post a Comment