Saturday, January 23, 2010

As If There Aren't Enough Reasons...

*Sigh*

As if there weren't enough reasons already to lose weight, I have now read about another one.
I started getting Weight Watchers magazine, and as I was flipping through and reading, I found an article about carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). Guess what?! Being overweight can exacerbate CTS.

Here's what the magazine article says:

A strong link between excess pounds and the onset of CTS was found in a review of several studies. CTS occurs when the median nerve in the wrist is compressed, causing burning, tingling, or numbness in the fingers and hand or pain radiating from the wrist. The weight link is probably due to the anatomy of the carpal tunnel, a tight space in the wrist that houses the median nerve and nine tendons. "If extra fluid or tissue, such as fat, is added to this space, the pressure is increased and the nerve may be compressed," explains David M. Rempel, M.D., a professor of occupational medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.

Prevention Pointers Suggested:

Go easy - Grasping objects - such as pens or tools - tightly can increase pressure on the carpal tunnel nerve.

Break it up - Take frequent breaks and switch activities regularly (go from typing to filing for example)

Watch your form - Avoid bending your wrist all the way up or down when typing or using hand tools.

Act fast - Suspect CTS? See a physician - the sooner you're treated, the better your chances of avoiding extreme measures, like surgery.

Ugh! So, I'll chalk this on my list of yet another reason to drop my weight. I hope a lot of these are inspiring others to shed their excess pounds as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment